John Henry Shook Jr, USN

Fukuoka #2 Main      Fukuoka #6 Roster

Source: RG 331 Box 920; Mansell NARA 7; IMG_0048


In the Matter of Atrocities Committed at
Prisoner of War Camp FUKUOKA NO. 2, Japan

I, JAMES HENRY SHOOK JR, Lieutenant (jg), USN, File Number 490 811, residing at 704 59th Street, San Diego, California, stationed at Naval Training Center, San Diego, California, being first duly sworn according to law, upon my oath depose and say that:

I was a survivor of the sinking of the USS Pope in the Java Sea south of Borneo on 1 Mar 42. I, along with other survivors, was picked up by a Japanese destroyer and taken to the Celebes Islands. Two nights later, I was taken to Macassar where I was confined in the native jail for a period of 30 days. On 24 Oct 42, I arrived at POW CAMP FUKUOKA NO. 2, after a 7 day trip aboard the ASAMA MARU. I remained at FUKUOKA NO. 2 until 19 Jun 45, at which date I was removed to ORIO, near YAWATA to POW CAMP NO. 9. The name of this latter camp was subsequently changed to POW CAMP FUKUOKA NO. 6.

I was liberated from FUKUOKA NO. 6 by American forces and returned to the United States on 23 Oct 45. I have given previous statements concerning war crimes, having made one such statement at the Oakland Naval Hospital, Oakland, California in Oct 45. The last such statement made by me was given at the Naval Training center, San Diego, California in October or November, 1946.

Reference is made to basic communication from General Headquarters, Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers, Legal Section, APO 500, File No. 013.36 (16 Dec 46) LS-P, dated 16 Dec 46, Subject: Request for Deposition. Attention is directed to paragraph 2(a) reference letter. In this regard, I do hereby expressly state that at no time during my internment at POW CAMP FUKUOKA NO. 2 was I ever put into a cell for any reason whatsoever. I do further state that I can recall no civilian interpreter, nor any other person, named "BEETHOVEN" or "SUMIOKA". I confess that I have a very poor memory for names, and therefore suggest that the person hereinafter referred to as "INTERPRETER NO 2" and "SUMIOKA alias BEETHOVEN" may be identical
Conditions at FUKUOKA NO.2 were not good at any time. The camp was quite new when we arrived, and, from a standpoint of physical make-up of the camp, would have not been too intolerable. As the war progressed, the lots of the POWS became harder and harder. To my knowledge, there were approximately 60 deaths at this camp. These were due primarily to pneumonia, dysentery, [and] malnutrition. Contributing factors in such deaths was the weakened physical condition of the POWS brought about through the forced working of the sick, beatings and slappings, and the continuous, ever-present state of apprehension on the part of the camp's inmates. The food was the usual Japanese fare of rice and soup served three times per day, and was, of course, inadequate, ill prepared, and in insufficient quantity. The work consisted of strenuous manual labor at the dockyards across the channel from Nagasaki. Beatings and slapping were common everyday occurrences engaged in by almost every Japanese connected with the camp and the dock area, with the exception of the camp commander and the camp doctor. For any infraction or supposed infraction of regulations, a POW was beat on the spot. More often than not, a POW was so beaten, was thereafter ordered to report to the guard house where he was beaten again. I was never sent to the guardhouse. Except as is hereafter stated, I can recall no specific instances, circumstances, perpetrators or victims of beatings, slappings or other forms of abuse. I witnessed no incident od such nature to which I could refer to as an immediate or direct cause of death. As stated previously, I can remember very few names or nicknames of the Japanese personnel. For the purpose of this statement I have identified personnel that I remember as hereinafter stated.

At one time, I cannot recall the date, a kilo of sugar was found missing from the galley. Sugar in the galley was always kept in the Honcho's room in a bucket. When the POW cooks required sugar, they told the honcho of such need, the honcho then put the sugar directly into the kettle where sugar was required. None of the POW cooks or KPs had access to sugar in the galley. When the sugar was missed, the Japanese HAKARI SAN, the honcho hereinafter referred to as HONCHO NO.3, and HARITA, and the POWS were asked "Who had stolen the sugar". FELIX WALTON [Felix Burrell Walton], a machinist mate from the USS Perch and two other POWS stepped out and admitted the theft. HONCH NO.3 then got up on the old ranges, which were about table high, and went down the line of POS, myself included, hitting each man on the side of the head with a wooden "go-ahead", a Japanese shoe. In addition to such punishment, WALTON and the other two POWS were viciously beaten about the face by HAKARI SAN and HARITA. I believe one of the Japs had stolen the sugar; that the three POWS who admitted the theft, did so in the knowledge that punishment would have been worse if no culprit was found. I admit that POWS stole food intended for the Jap mess whenever they thought they could get away with it. I have done so myself. But the Japanese, knowing that the POWS could be blamed, were guilty of most of the thefts that occurred.

On another occasion, I cannot recall the date, about 3 pounds of "mizo paste". A type of soy bean mixture that tasted like a combination of sawdust and vinegar, and which was practically unpalatable, was discovered missing from the store room. BOKKA GO and HONCHO NO. 3 investigated the matter, but could not get [any] POW to admit guilt. Because a culprit was lacking, BOKKA GO ordered a suspension of meals for all POWS, a total of approximately 1500 men. The suspension order was issued after the evening meal had been prepared but not yet served to the men. As a result of such order no POW received an food that evening, the following morning, and the following noon. On the afternoon of the day of the third meal omission, a POW, unknown to me, admitted the theft. It is my belief that such POW accepted the blame for theft innocently so that our meager could be resumed. That evening we were served the meal, unheated, that had been prepared for the previous evening. By that time, the rice was cold, soggy, and smelled like a sewer.

During the early part of our internment at the camp, POWS who were to ill to work were so certified by the Dutch POW doctors, and such certification was honored by the Japanese. As time went on, the recommendations of the POW doctors were lesser regarded. Men certified as too ill to work by the POW doctors were required to visit the Japanese camp doctor, who would in almost every instance refused to excuse such men. So many men were going in to see the Jap doctor for excuses from work, that BOKKO GO issued an order requiring POWS who claimed to be too sick to work and were so certified by the POW doctors, to see him, BOKKA GO, before seeing the Jap doctor. To my knowledge, no one was ever excused from work by BOKKA GO. The Dutch POW doctors dis all they could, bu they were practically helpless. Dr. VIZNISH (phonetic), a Dutch POW told me that he had received orders from the Jap doctor to excuse no more than 15 men. 1% of the internees, per day from work.

As stated previously, most of the work done by the POWS was performed at the Navy docks which were 1-1/2 to 2 miles distant from the camp proper. There, under the control of the Imperial Navy, POWS drilled holes in heavy iron plate. Using slow Japanese drills that weighed over 40 pounds. When no drilling, the POWS were made to move heavy chunks of scrap iron about, from one pile to another. On many occasions, I have witnessed POWS, who were too weak to walk the distance from the camp to the dock, draped about and being carried by stronger POWS.

During my entire imprisonment at FUKUOKA NO.2, I received but two-thirds of one Red Cross food parcel. Each man, (POW) received one pair of Red Cross shoes, which he was permitted to wear at any time in the dock area, and seldomly (sic) in the camp area. The reason given was conservation at the camp, and the shortage of shoes among the Jap civilians at the dock area. All of the Jap personnel at the camp, from the commander on down, wore American Red Cross shoes. These shoes were the brown army-type shoe. I did not see any other item of Red Cross clothing worn by the Japs, but strongly suspect that they were wearing warm American underwear.
I worked in the camp galley for a period of approximately 8 months prior to 17 Jun 45. During this time, and more so toward the end of my stay at FUKUOKA NO.2, I saw many trays of American "SPAM" go out of the galley to be served in the Japanese mess. I have eaten "Spam" many time since I have been in the service, and could not possibly mistake "Spam's" sight, color, shape or smell for anything else. On the rare occasions when the POWS were served "Spam", the Japanese also ate "Spam". The distribution was apportioned at 5 POWS per 12 ounce tin, and two Japanese per 12 ounce tin.
NOTE: Enough Red Cross supplies were sent to Japan to give every Allied POW a five pound box of food every week. In general, most POW received less than two boxes during their entire captivity.

Japanese personnel, from the camp commander on down, smoked American cigarettes. These were "Camels", "Lucky Strike", "Chesterfield" and other, less popular, American brands. The Japanese carried packages of such cigarettes in their pockets, and openly exhibited the familiar packs whenever they decided to smoke. POWS received a meager irregular ration of cigarettes, most of which were of the less desirable Japanese type.

Incidents of brutality, beatings and slappings were so commonplace that I find it difficult to recall specific circumstances, perpetrators, victims, and similar details concerning such incidents. I have endeavored, to the best of my recollection to state all of the facts and details I can recall in the following incidents. Un less otherwise stated, the following incidents are of my own knowledge, I having been a witness thereto:
At about 0600 during the winter of 1944, the work party was assembled in the camp compound preparatory to the march to the dock area. The party was just getting ready to move out, when one of the POWS, I cannot recall his name, collapsed and went into convulsions. A Dutch doctor, who we called "Sleepy Sam", addressed the Jap hereinafter referred to as INTERPRETER NO. 1, requesting him to ask BOKKA GO to excuse the convulsive POW. Although such conversation took place within my hearing distance, I did not hear all of the conversation nor the provocation of what was to follow. INTERPRETER NO. 1 started beating "Sleepy Sam" and continued doing so until he was tired. Said beating, I estimate, lasted about one and one half minute. "Sleepy Sam" was beaten about the face with fists and open handed slaps. I observed "Sleepy Sam's" face immediately after the beating stopped, and could distinguish thereon welts and bruises. "Sleepy Sam" was thereafter ordered to the guardhouse by INTERPRETER NO.1. I was later told that "Sleepy Sam" spent 2 or 3 days in the guardhouse, and that the provocation for the beating was "Sleepy Sam's" inadvertent use of the word "Jap" for "Japanese" in addressing INTERPRETER NO.1. I don't know whether the convulsive POW was excused or not as I moved out with the work detail.

I did not witness the incident herein described as INCIDENT NO. 2. This incident was related to me via scuttlebutt. I believe that D.W. Herndon [Herndon, Donald Whitehead], CMM, USN, now stationed at the Naval Air Station, Ottumwa, Idaho, and the two survivors from the USS Perch, named Klacky [Klecky, Rudolph] and Delman [Deleman, Bernard] respectively may have been eyewitnesses. The incident is as follows:
At or about 0600, at a preparatory to work muster in the compound area of the camp, a civilian POW who had been taken prisoner on Wake Island, collapsed while standing in formation. This man was set upon by BOKKA GO and beaten so severely that he had to be carried to a cell in the guard house, where he died two days later. I recall the victim as a man of about 50-60 years of age, an American civilian, a hunchbacked little fellow. I saw this man's body upon a table in an unused POW room No 300231 for about a day and a half. The body was under a blanket. Since this was the only death occurring at or about that time, I presume it was the man's remains. This incident is said to have occurred between November 1944 and February 1945. I can state positively that I never saw this victim again after the time this incident was said to have occurred.
[This man is identified as civilian Harry Eldon Reed. Wake Island, whose date of death was recorded by the Japanese as 3 April 1945. The Japanese noted the cause of death as heart failure]

During the early part of our imprisonment at this camp. We were paid for working, some of the POWS would pool their money to purchase a newspaper so that they could get some war news. I believe a newspaper was purchased through a civilian in the dock area where it was secretly read, and then passed on to Major Horrigan, who passed it along as scuttlebutt. The Japanese tried to find out how the news was getting into the camp. One night, I cannot recall the date, after the POWS were in bed, HAKARI SAN came into our room and pulled STRAUSS [Strouse, Milton Harold "Milt"], a survivor from the USS Pope, out of bed. Strauss returned some seven days later, in a beat up condition. His face had been beaten almost to a pulp; his features were almost unrecognizable. Strauss later told me that BOKKA Go, INTERPRETER NO.2 and a Jap hereinafter referred to and identified as the person whose likeness appears on the photograph entitled EXHIBITS "A" and "AA", had beaten him up in an attempt to learn how the news was getting into camp. When STRAUSS returned, DELEMAN and an Englishman named HAZEL [Hazel, George Oliver, Gunner] were taken and similarly interrogated in this regard. DELEMAN and HAZEL also returned in a beat up condition although neither of them looked as bad as STRAUSS had. I, as well as STRAUSS, DELMAN and HAZEL and other POWS who knew about this incident, believe that these POWS had been informed upon by an American civilian POW hereinafter referred to as "JAPSTOOGE" for the purpose of this affidavit. Neither I nor any of the other POWS familiar with this incident have any direct knowledge that JAPSTOOGE had informed on these men, but we believe that he singled out STRAUSS, who, JAPSTOOGE knew, was getting about quite a bit on his, STRAUSS' personal bartering deals by which he procured rice, cigarettes and other supplies.

One morning, I cannot recall the date, when my galley shift was on duty starting at 0100, we decided to bake some sweet potatoes rather than put them in the soup. The potatoes had been baked, and one of the POWS had begun to eat one, when BOKKA GO entered the galley. BOKKA GO lined up the crew of 11, including myself, and beat us in turn with his fists about our faces. I cannot recall the names of the other POWS then on duty in the galley. None of us were seriously hurt at this time.

One morning, I cannot recall the date, at about 0830, during the time when the days provisions were being taken from the store room to the galley, I witnessed the beating of FELIX WALTON, CMM, [Felix Burrell Walton] a survivor of the USS Perch, by HAKARI SAN. WALTON had been in the store room scooping sugar with his hands from the store room barrel, into the honcho's bucket. Japanese sugar is damp and sticky. When WALTON had finished with the sugar, he began licking the surplus sugar that was stuck to his hands. HAKARI SAN jumped on WALTON and beat him with his fists until his was tired. WALTON was beaten about the face for a period of about 2 minutes. At the conclusion of this beating, WALTON'S face showed welts, some bruises, and was quite swollen.

At the dock area where we worked, there was a Japanese overseer named HARANO, alias MOUSTACHE. I believe that at one time or another this man has beaten every POW who ever worked under him. I can safely say that I have seen him administer over 500 beatings to the POWS. I have seen him beat men with his fists, with iron bars, clubs, poles, and anything else that was handy for not drilling holes fast enough or for what HARANO considered to be loitering in the latrine. I recall HARANO'S beating of D.W. Herndon, hereinbefore identified, only because I have seen HERNDON beaten by him no less than 25 times, in the manner herein described. I have seen HARANO kick HERNDON in thye back while the latter was bent over his drill working on iron plate. I have seen HERNDON go down under such kick, and have seen HARANO then proceed to kick him in the ribs and in the face, or beat him with a club or piece of iron. I also saw HARANO beat up a POW named LEMBECK, [Urban William Lembeck] a survivor of the Pope in an identical manner.

At the docks, the favorite sport of the Japanese Navy men was to knock down a POW by use of their fists, after they discovered that a POW could be knocked down in this manner. For reasons such as slowness in saluting, or for hesitation on the part of a POW required to "count off" in [the] Japanese language, such a POW was immediately knocked down.

EXHIBITS (Identification Photographs)
Attached hereto are photographs marked Exhibits "A", "AA", "B", "C", "CC". "D", "DD", "E". "EE", and "F" respectively, each and all of which bear my signature, are a padret hereof and expressly incorporated herein.

Ref Exhibits "A" and "AA"
I cannot recall this man's name, nickname or rank. I believe his insignia showed two stars on a gold bar. He was an administrative assistant of some sort in the camp office, but wandered the camp quite a bit. He had the reputation of having, at one time or another, beaten every POW in the camp. He himself would frequently boast that he was the toughest man in the camp. He once caught me eating some food I had stolen out of the galley. I was beaten by him on this occasion but was not hurt. This man couldn't do much damage with his fists. Many times, he would call in a guard whom he would order to beat a POW, for various infractions. Frequently, this man would sneak into the prisoners' quarters in order to catch someone smoking in other than the manner prescribed by regulations. Regulations provided that when smoking, a POW must be seated at the table, and have an ashtray in front of him. Such regulation was, in my opinion, reasonable in view of the fire hazard. After beating, or having a POW beaten, this man would usually send such POW to the guard house, where he would be beaten again. I was not sent to the guard house after I was beaten by this man.

Ref Exhibit "B"
I positively identify this man as the commanding officer of POW CAMP NO.2 during approximately the last 10 months of my imprisonment therein. This man's rank is unknown to me. He was quiet, mild mannered, and gave the impression of being well educated. To my knowledge this man was not known to have ever beaten a prisoner or to have directly ordered a POW beaten. Nor is this man know to have ever interceded on behalf of a prisoner being beaten in his presence. On many occasion, I have seen this man stand directly beside a guard who was beating a sick prisoner and never say a word or make any motion to halt such brutality. At times when this man was walking about the camp, I have seen members of his guard escort viciously beat POWS who failed to salute or who were considered too slow in saluting. Such events were almost daily; they occurred so often, it is impossible for me to single out any one incident.

Ref. Exhibits "C" and "CC"
I am not certain concerning this man. He strongly resembles the Japanese previously referred to an hereinafter described as INTERPRETER NO.2. This man's lips and mouth seem that of INTERPRETER NO.2. The outstanding feature of INTERPRETER NO.2 was his bushy, puffed out, ridiculous head of hair. In the absence of such hair, I cannot be certain concerning this man. If this man and INTERPRETER NO.2 are not identical, I cannot identify the exhibit.

Ref. Exhibits "D" and "DD"
I positively identify this man as the Japanese referred herein as BOKKA GO, alias "MAD SOW", "GLASS EYE", "THE DOPE" and other such appellations that I cannot recall. I don't know his rank although he wore, I believe, 3 stars. He was probably the Japanese equivalent to Sergeant-Major, as he literally "ran the camp". This man was in on everything, issued most of the orders, and was, in my opinion, half-crazed. He had a wild starey (sic) look in his eye that gave him the appearance of being "doped up". Insofar as the beating of POWS is concerned, this man was the worst and most frequent offender. He also sent his victims to the guard house for more pinishment more frequently than did the other Japs. He would come into the POW quarters at night, after the men were in bed, pull men out for such petty reason as not having their shoes lined up properly. He would beat them on the spot and then send them to the guard house. Then the men were given extra duty work on the air raid shelters, after their return from the docks and without having their evening meal. This extra duty on the air raid shelters ordered by him so often accounts for his name, Bokka Go, which means "air raid shelter" in the Japanese language. POWS who to work in this manner would work until 2000 or 2100 hours and then get their evening meal which at that time was cold and soggy. Many times, POWS eating at this late hour were beaten by other guards for eating at other than the prescribed time. This man was a beast who became wilder and more vicious as time went on, until the end of the war, at which time, I believe he was absolutely insane.

Ref. Exhibits "E" and "EE"
This man is unknown to me. I cannot identify him.

Ref. Exhibit "F"
I do not recall this man's name. For the purpose of this affidavit I shall designate him as HONCHO NO.1. He was the "honcho" in charge of the galley before I ever went to work in the galley. I have heard from other POWS who worked under him that he frequently lined up entire galley crews and socked each man in turn with a wooden "go ahead". I also heard that at one time he had drawn his sword and had threatened to cut off a POW's head. I don't remember whether or not this man ever slapped me. I didn't have much contact with him, but can state positively that I have seen him slap POWS no fewer than 500 times. I can recall no single incident or victim.

This man succeeded the man hereinafter to as HONCHO NO.1. He was an army man, his insignia carried two stars. He was about 30-35 years of age, weight approximately 130 pounds, had a wide head, mouse face, and short hair. I had very little contact with this man, but have seen him slap POWS. I recall no specific incident or victim. He was 5' 3" tall approximately.

This man succeeded HONCHO NO.2, and was the honcho in charge of the galley during the time I worked there. He was an army man of two star rank, 30-35 years of age, approximately 5'9" tall, weight 190-200 pounds, ordinary Jap nose, fair shaped mouth, heavy lips, short clipped black hair, brown eyes. This man had an extremely military bearing and was very powerful. He was able to place a 75 kilo weight from the floor on his shoulder with the use of but one hand. He engaged in beatings and slappings frequently as did all the Jap personnel at the camp. I recall being hit by him on one occasion. He hit me with a "go ahead" as heretofore described.

This man was a civilkian interpreter on duty at the camp until about January, 1945. He was a Japanese, 40-45 years of age, 5'1" to 5'2" tall, weight 110-115 approximately; runty slender build, black hair combed straight back, no hair line recession, low forehead, round face, dull featured, flat wide nose with shallow root, very small slitty brown eyes, Light brown complexion, medium lips, small mouth with a slight amount of gold in it. This man spoke perfect English and stated at one time that he had lived in Santa Monica, California for 15 years. He frequently slapped and beat prisoners, many times employing a club or a stick. I can recall no single incident or victim.

This man replaced INTERPRETER NO.1 and remained in camp for a period of approximately 3 or 4 months. His most outstanding feature was his extremely bushy hair which he wore puffed out at the sides. Atop his head he wore a Jap army cap which ad the appearance of a tin can on an elephant's rear end. The man looked so ridiculous we had to forcibly restrain ourselves to keep from laughing out loud. Although he was a civilian, he always wore a Jap army uniform. He was about 30-35 years of age, 5'2" to 5'3" tall, weight approximately 120-125 pounds, slender build, black bushy hair, medium "monkey style" face, medium forehead, blotch shape puffed out mouth. Large "nigger lips", had some gold teeth in his mouth. He spoke very poor English and was practically useless as an interpreter. I didn't see this man much during the time he was there, as I was, at that time, working in the galley. I have seen him slap and beat POWS and "pick them up" on the flimsiest pretexts. He also usually sent his victims to the guard house after he had beaten them personally. I was never beaten by this man. I recall him beating up a Dutch POW whom he had caught re-steaming his rice at the steam table outlet. The Dutch POW was not seriously hurt and was sent to the guard house. One time, after an alleged sinking of an allegedly well-lighted Red Cross ship, this man assembled the entire American group and relieved himself of a somewhat comic relief harangue concerning the barbarism and cruelty of western civilization in general and the United States in particular.

This man was in the Jap army and wore three stars on a red background as insignia of rank. His job was that of a store keeper and bookkeeper ref. food eaten at the camp. He was 30-35 years of age, approximately 5'4-1/2" tall, weight about 125-130 pounds, slender build, black hair clipped short, brown eyes; thin face, wore thick heavy glasses. He had a somewhat hooked nose and a small shark-like mouth. Thin lips and sharp features. He was nicknamed "The Jew" and "Little Rat". He too, was always beating and slapping prisoners.

This man was in the Jap army, rank unknown, and worked in the galley. He was about 40-45 years of age, 5'4" tall, weight about 140 pounds, medium build, black hair, brown eyes, wide flat Jap nose. His mouth was scarred, poxy appearing and had a blubbery look. His right arm was almost useless as a result of an injury received in China, and the right side of his torso was covered with wound scars. He frequently beat up the POWS working in the galley. I once saw him give a Dutch POW a terrific beating for stealing a rice cake. LIVERLIPS his the POW with his good arm as hard as he could until he was tired. The POW'S face was bruised rather badly. I am not certain but I believe the POW was thereafter sent to the guard house.

This man also worked in the galley. He was an army man of three star rank, and he also served in China. He was about 35-40 years old, 5'7" tall, thin slender build, and had the usual ordinary Jap features, and wore glasses. His right foot had been injured to an extent that he seemed to have little control over it. When he walked, he gave the impression that he was throwing out his right foot without any idea of where it would settle; his was the flopping type step. This man also slapped and beat prisoners on the slightest, ofttimes without, provocation. I can recall no paricular incidents or victims except as hereinbefore stated.

This man was a civilian who lived in Nagasaki who was employed as a overseer at the docks where the POWS worked. He was about 40-45 year of age, 5'3" tall, weight about 115 pounds, skinny slender build. He had the usual Japanese features and a small moustache. He was a former army man who had served his time in China. This man was a manic-depressive type. On some days he seemed kind and sympathetic toward the POWS and would give them nuts and small cakes that he had brought with him from Nagasaki. Usually, however, he was sadistic and cruel and would beat men as hereinbefore described. I believe this man was very patriotic and that his mood was governed by the tenor of the war news. I was never beaten by this man.

This man was a regular army officer whom I seldom ever saw. I never saw him beat a POW but believe him responsible for the forced working of sick POWS as previously stated. Doctor Viznish and the other Dutch POW doctors could furnish more information concerning him. He was about 35040 years of age, 5'5" tall, 140-150 pounds, heavy set, dark complexion, had short clipped black hair, brown eyes, and, I believe, spoke German.

This man was an American civilian POW who had been captured on Wake Island. I have designated him as "JAPSTOOGE" for the purpose of this affidavit. I do not know his name, and cannot recall any nickname given him as the camp. He was about 30-35 years of age, 5'5" tall, approximately 150 pounds weight, reddish hair that was thinning at the temple, grey or brown eyes, light skin that seemed to sunburn easily. He had a pinch mouth and a sneaky manner. By sneaky manner, I mean, he would never look at a person to whom he was talking. He walked with a long stride and seemed somewhat out of proportion. He didn't speak much, but when he did, he spoke at a normal speed. His accent and inflection in speech gave me no clue to any possible geographical section of the United States from which he might have emanated. I believe he was part Irish. I could identify him from a photograph. [Suspected to be Fred M. King]
This man was highly regarded by the Japs and thoroughly distrusted by almost all the POWS. The some 24 other American civilian POWS with whom he lived on the other side of the camp, despised him. I was told by some of these civilian POWS that JAPSTOOGE frequently visited the camp office after the other POWS had gone to bed. That sometime, a Japanese guard would come to the room and escort him to the office. These civilian POWS and other POWS also stated that this man received favors in the form of extra cigarettes and food from the Japanese. At one time LIVERLIPS told me that this man was "number one", meaning that LIVERLIPS regarded him highly. We considered him an informer for the Japanese and the person who put the finger on STRAUSS as states previously herein. I have no direct knowledge that he was informing for the Japanese, but all the circumstances as related by persons closer to him than I was, indicated such action. I never saw him get slapped or beaten by the Japs, and he had the reputation for never having been beaten, slapped or otherwise abused.

I know of no Japanese at FUKUOKA NO.2 who at any time showed any indication of sympathetic understanding or who lifted so much as a finger to help any of the POWS imprisoned there.
This constitutes all the information I can recall concerning atrocities committed at FUKUOKA POW CAMP NO.2.

/S/ James Henry Shook, Jr.

SWORN to before me and subscribed in my presence this 10th day of February, 1947 at San Diego, California.
/S/ H. N. Sanders, Lieut USN
Auth: Act of Congress 9 Apr 43

County of San Diego

I, Joseph Burwasser, Special Agent, CIC, 6th Army, certify that James Henry Shook Jr. appeared before me February 4, 1947 and made the foregoing statement consisting of 13 pages, including title and signature pages, and attached exhibits.
/S/ Joseph Burwasser, S/A CIC
Sixth Army