Affidavit of 1st Lt Millet A. Straughan
131st FA; Captured on Java
NARA RG 331 Box 920

Fukuoka #2 Main

Judge Advocate General's Department ** War Department
United States of America

In the matter of the mistreatment of American Prisoners of War by the Japanese Perpetuation of Testimony of 1st Lieutenant Millet [Andrew] Straughan, Service No. 0-412164, Fort Sam Houston, Texas

Taken at: Intelligence Section, San Antonio, Texas
Date: January 27, 1947
In the presence of: Ben Davis, Special Agent, 112th CIC Detachment
Reporter: Clarence A. Thompson, clerk and shorthand writer
Asked by: Ben Davis, Special Agent, 112th CIC Detachment
Q=Question A=Answer

Q: State your name, rank and serial number, and permanent home address.
A: My name is 1st Lt, Millet A. Straughan Millet, ASN 0-412164, 2313 Edison Drive, San Antonio Texas

Q: State the date and place of birth, the extent of your formal education, your civilian job and your marital status.
A: I was born on 24 September 1913 in San Antonio Texas. I graduated at the Thomas Jefferson High School, San Antonio Texas, in May 1933. I've worked as a salesman for various concerns in and around San Antonio, Texas, prior to my entrance into the Army. I was married 1 November 1945.

Q: Have you recently returned to the United States from overseas?
A. Yes, I returned to the States 15 October 1945, arriving in San Francisco. I left the United States on 21 November 1941.

Q. Were you a prisoner of war?
A. Yes, I was a prisoner of the Japanese from 10 March 1942 to 20 August 1945.

Q. At what places were you held and astate the approximate dates?
A. While serving with the 131st Field Artillery, USA, I captured on the island of Madura, D.E.I.[Dutch East Indies] on 10 March 1942. After my capture, I was moved to Camp Camal, Madura, D.E.I.. where I was held until 1 April 1942, and then transferred to Surabaya (D.E.I.), for 206 days. I 23 October 1942 for Batavia, D.E.I., where I was held until 29 October 1942. From here [I was sent] to Camp Changi, Singapore by boat. arriving [at Changi on] 2 November 1942, and leaving 28 November 28, 1942 [for transport] to Camp Fukuoka #2, Nagasaki, Japan. [Kamakura Maru] We arrived here 7 December 1942, at which time we were held until 25 April 1945, [after which] we were then moved to Mukden, Manchoukuo, arriving on 29 April 1945. I was in this camp until my liberation o 20 August 1945 by Russian ground forces.

Q. Are you able to identify the attached photographs? [No pictures attached]
A. Yes, I can identify all but one of the attached photos..

Q. Please explain what you know about the people in the photos. The violence they have committed, the dates of the incident, description of each incident and refer to each exhibit number.

Exhibit # 1, was the camp commander of Fukuoka #2, Nagasaki, Japan, from May 1944 until I left the camp 25 April 1945. He was about 56 years old, 5 foot, 6" tall, weighed about 135 pounds, wore a short full mustache, had a receding hairline, wore three stars on his epaulets, the rank of captain in the Jap army. I believe his name was Captain Nozaki. [Picture noted as Capt Nozaki] When Captain Nozaki first came to Camp Fukuoka #2, he said he was going to do the right thing if we would also do the right thing, and things were fairly good for about two to three months when he claimed that we would not cooperate with him. Therefore, he would be unable to cooperate with the POWS further, so things began to get rough I do not know of any specific incidents in which Capt Nozaki was physically involved. However, he had personal knowledge of countless beatings and other atrocities committed by the Japanese personnel under his command against the Allied POWS and did nothing to halt or correct the situation to my knowledge.

Exhibit # 2 was the Sgt/Major of Fukuoka # 2 and was over all the enlisted personnel of the camp. His main duties (sic) was Sergeant of the Guard. He is described as follows: Known as "BUKIOGO", about 5 foot 9" tall, stocky built, about 165 or 170 pounds, clean shaven and very active. "BUKIOGO" came to Fukuoka 2 latter part of 1943 or the first of 1944, was still there when I left the camp on 25 April 1945. "BUKIOGO" seemed to delight in mistreating the POWS and was continually beating them or looking for an excuse to beat them. He seemed to go into a trance while beating a man, as if he might be a saddist pervert and obtain sexual gratification from these physical tortures of human beings.

"BUKIOGO" and about 7 or 8 guards beat and tortured13 Dutch enlisted men for stealing food. The men were beaten and tortured for stealing food. This incident took place in April or May 1944. The other [camp] guards who were involved were as follows:
Exhibit # 3, [his] name was Corporal Mori, about 25 years old, 5 foot 10", slender, weighed about 140 or 145 pounds, smooth shaven, and nice clean-cut looking. It was rumored that he had taken an examination to become an officer but failed, and therefore he seemed to be prejudiced against the POW officer. The third camp guard involved was as follows: Nickname unknown, about 5 foot 9" tall, weighed about 160 pounds, around 36 years old. clean-shaven, was a civilian. It was rumored that he had been wounded in China and was discharged from the Japanese army. His duties were those of a supply sergeant. I am not sure about the other guards involved.

The first I knew of this incident was one evening in April or May, I heard a of commotion outside. Looking out the window I saw that there was 13 Dutch men lined up in front of the guard house. The guards were practicing jujitsu on them and beating them unmercifully with belts, rifle butts and clubs of various types. When they would lose consciousness, the Japs would throw cold water on them until they regained consciousness and then continue the beatings. They would beat the POWS until they got tired, about 1 or 1-1/2 hours, and would rest a few minutes and start again. The camp guards acted like a bunch of maniacs, laughing, howling and screaming at each other and the prisoners, just having a hell of a good time. We were made to go to bed at 20:30 but we could the beatings going on all night. These 13 Dutch were beaten at random during the thirty days they were confined in the guard house.

[For' The first three days, the beatings were almost continuous, then afterwards, only at the pleasure of the guards. I heard that the Dutchmen were also given the "water treatment", which consisted of pouring [water] down their throats and then beating them or jumping up and down on their stomachs until all the water was out. After thirty days confinement, the Dutchmen were brought into the kitchen, where I was Mess Officer, and permitted them to take a bath in the large water tank adjoining the kitchen. I saw while they were bathing that they were black and blue from head to foot. I do not know if any of them died from these beatings.

"BUKIOGO" and two or three other guards, whom I do not remember, were involved in the beating and subsequent death of an American civilian by the name of Reed who was a hunch-back and to the best of my knowledge, captured on the island of Guam. mistreatment of an American citizen who died as a result. One morning around the first of January 1945, Reed who was sick, failed to fall out for the7:00 AM work formation. One of the guards went into the barracks and brought him out to the formation, beating him as he marched out. Then they stood Reed up in front if the formation and began beating him with their fists and belts. After 15 to 20 minutes of this, they made him join the formation. However, they later changed their minds and placed him the guardhouse instead. In the guardhouse, they beat him again which caused his death about 11AM the same morning.

Exhibit # 3 Corporal Mori, whose duties were administrative as well as supply sergeant, called a formation one day for the POW Officers. I did not get the news in time and was a few minutes late. When I walking to the formation, Mori hit me in the face with a "clip-board", which is about 12" long, 8" wide, and 1/4" thick. Mori was also the instigator of various abuses in the camp, too numerous to remember any specific incidents.

Exhibit # 4 aka "GALLEY HONCHO", [whose] real name is unknown [by me], about 38 years old, 5 foot 10" tall, stocky built weighing about 160 to 165 pounds, clean shaven and a receding hairline, Sgt in Jap army, duties were those of a mess Sergeant. He was responsible for numerous beatings of enlisted men through the camp, but seemed to have respect for officers. I suspect that "GALLY HONCHO" was involved in the beating of the 13 Dutchmen, but I am not positive. I can not recall specific incident he was involved in. However, he was very good in jujitsu and liked to show off his skill. He would go around the camp looking for excuses to punish the men and although I cannot recall any specific incident, I know he was involved in almost all the beatings in the camp. As there were three or four men in front of the guardhouse every day being beaten, and because "GALLY HONCO" was so fond of Judo, I feel safe in saying that he was invloved in countless beatings and tortures..

Exhibit # 5 was the interpreter, name unknown, about 5 foot 6" tall, very frail, about 120 pounds, 43 years old, was a civilian, had very thick hair and wore it very long. [picture noted in Dutch as "burger TOLK" or camp interpreter] [He had] duties only those of an interpreter. He would not cooperate with us at all but instead, we suspected him of falsely interpreting us, causing us more problems. The only incident in which he was invloved to the best of my knowledge, was with Major W.K. Horrigan, 403 Laurel Street, Texarkana, Arkansas, in which he a guard after Major Horrigan to bring him to his office. He made Horrigan kneel on the floor in front of and then he slapped Horrigan several times in his face. During this action, he accused the Major of saying or doing numerous things around the camp. He said that came from POW informants who informed him of what other POWS were doing against regulations. He did not tell Horrigan the names of the POWS who were doing the informing. After this, he placed Horrigan in the guard house for 7 days and nights, receiving only 2/3rds [of his] daily rations which consisted of approximately 1200 calories.
The food consisted of rice, soup and sometimes fish. We suspected several enlisted men in the camp as being the informants. The only American suspected was a civilian captured on Guam and who was called "BURMA RED" whom I personally saw in the interpreter's office several times..

Exhibit # 6 seems to be familiar but I am unable to place him and therefore do not wish to make a statement concerning him.

Q. Can you give the names of any other American prisoners who were witnesses to the beatings and torture of the 13 Dutchmen?
A. Yes, they are as follows: Major W.K Horrigan, 2nd Lt R.E.L Michie, in care of J.N Michie, Texas Technical College, Lubbock, Texas; 1st Lieutenant W.R Slone,717 Popular Street, Abiline, Texas, whoi is at present stationed at Fort Sill, Lawton, Oklahoma; 1st David J Hicks, civilian, 1408 Hill Street, Santa Monica, California; 1st Lieutenant Allen G Hollis, P.O. Box 211, Jackboro, Texas; 1st Sergeant George W Scott, 2525 Clarendon Avenue, Huntington Park, California; Navy enlisted man Bobbie Gerrel Robbinson, RFD #2, Hamlet, Noreth Carolina; and PFC John Paul Campbell Jr, Oak Grove, Rt #2, Louisiana.

Q. Can you give the names of any other Americans who were witnesses to the beating of the civilian Reed?
A. Yes, all of the above men were present at the time that Reed was beaten.

Q. Were the same above men witnesses to the hitting of yourself by [Corporal] Mori?
A. They were present, however, I am not sure that they saw the incident.

Q. Can you give us names of any men who might have additional information about atrocities committed by "GALLEY Honcho".
A. All of the above mentioned might have information, but I'm not sure.

Q. Do you know any other Americans who might be able to identify the interpreter?
A. No, unless some of the above men could.

Q. Will you relate the improper conditions suffered by American POWS in Fukuoka, Camp # 2?
A. [The following persons:] T.N. Drake, F.P. Cieplinski, E.L. Donaho. L.H. Ortiz. all of Battery "E", 131st FA 36th Division, were involved in the attempted theft of food around October 1944. They were punished by beatings and placed in the guardhouse for two or three weeks. To the best of my knowledge the weather was below freezing and men were refused clothing. except the shirt and pants they had on, for several days. They were then given their overcoats and one blanket, no bedding of any kind, and 1/2 to 2/3rd rations of water and food. All men were imprisoned under the same conditions. I am unable to identify the Japanese involved but know that the commander of the camp was aware of the conditions.

Q. Can you give any additional information concerning the men being forced to work on military installations at the shipyards?
A. No, I am unable to give any further information concerning this.

Q. Are you able to give further information about the exposure of prisoners to gun fire, bombing or other hazards of war?
A. Only that there was a battery of anti-aircraft stationed on a hill 150 yards from the camp. They would fire at American aircraft and on one incident, we could hear the planes diving. However, to my knowledge, we were never bombed or strafed because of this battery.

Q. Can you give further information concerning collective punishment a group or an individual, for offenses committed by others?
A. Yes, if someone was caught stealing, they would stop the Red Cross or else cut our daily rations for a few meals. While I was Mess officer, we had a mess Corporal known as "GALLY Honcho", (not the one shown on the attached picture) who was our mess corporal from August or September 1943 until January or February 1945. He was a Corporal, about 29 years old, 5 foot 6" tall, medium build, approximately 135 pounds and clean shaven. This mess Sergeant held me responsible for any infraction upon the rules by any of the kitchen personnel. One incident happened in May 1944. The cooks were unloading a barge which contained 200 pound cases of food. The cooks had to walk up a narrow gangplank which was very wobbly. Two of the cooks lost their balance and dropped one of the barrels of Soya paste onto the rocks below, which broke it and allowed the paste to run into the sea. Later, "GALLY Honcho" had all the cooks line up in the kitchen and then began to question me about the incident. He became angry and started hitting me about the face with his fists, breaking my noe but did not knock me out. After he finished with me, about 10 to 15 minutes later, he walked down the line of cooks and hit each of them in the face several times. Then we were made to stand at attention for an hour. "GALLY Honcho" would find some little thing wrong with the kitchen and would hit me with whatever he would have in his hands or tell me to look down while he would hit me across the back of my head. He would kick me in the buttocks with his foot very often but those occurences were very often, happening every day.

Q. Can you give further information about the conditions, medical care and food in Fukuoka Camp # 2.
A. There was never enough food, about 1200 calories per day, and we were never given enough cover with only a straw mat to sleep on in very drafty quarters. Although they had adequate medical supplies and equipment, they refused to give us any of them. When a person had a contagious disease, they would isolate him and send the food out by a fellow prisoners and would send a doctor out to see how they were.

Q. Have you knowledge of any other atrocities not specifically mentioned above?
A. No, I can give no more specific incidents of atrocities committed by the Japanese.

Q. Are you able to identify any other Jap at Fukuoka # 2?
A. Yes, the first camp commander before Captain Nozaki is as follows: full name unknown, about 65 years old, a Major in the Jap army, about 5 foot 10" tall, weighing about 165 pounds, a receding hairline, clean-shaven, talked very loud voice, did not take any interest in running the camp but left it to the Sergeant Major. A group of officers pleaded with him to stop some of the beatings but he just ignored them.

Q. Have you ever questioned by Japanese intelligence officers?
A. No.

Q. Can you give any further information which would be helpful in convicting Japanese guilty of committing war crimes.
A. No, I have given all the information that I can remember.

I, Millet A. Straughan, of legal age, do declare under oath that the foregoing declaration has been conscientiously given.
This statement was taken by William J. Block in the presence of Special Agent Ben Davis 112th CIC detachment and signed by both.

May 1947