Japanese Report of Dead
Rabaul Area, as of 31 Aug 1945

Rabaul Main       Main Camp List     Home

POWS in South East Asia:
Report of dead in Rabaul and New Ireland Areas

The PARTIAL list, reputed to be complete by the Japanese, came from the Australian Military Forces. It has several dates on it including 10 Sep 45. Information was supplied in Appendix B of an HMS GLORY unnumbered signal of 062201K.

The header page is dated August 31, 1945 and is titled:


The list of the dead, with the exception of the first name, did not indicate the individual's service.
Note the date of capture of C. Sciara and his death, in 40 days (!) from malaria and beri beri. Typically, aviators were tortured and murdered as a policy of the Japanese and a disease or bombing was cited by the Japanese as a cause on the victim's death certificate.

When death is noted as "killed by bombing," it is pure fiction. These men were simply executed

Frank Sciara, brother of the murdered crewman. Charles Sciara was shot down on January 14, 1944 during a raid over Rabaul and was reported to be at a POW camp on Cape Gazelle.

2. DEAD [American unless otherwise noted]

NAME  NATIONALITY  RANK  Date of Capture  Place of Capture  Date of Death, Notes
Bartvett, H.C.O. Amer. 2nd Lieut USAF 10/29/43 Gabubu 1/10/44, died of malaria
Manon, Paul Monroe Petty Off. 2nd Class 11/22/43 New Ireland 2/22/44, died of malaria
Sciara, Charles Staff Sgt [USMCR] 01/14/44 Rabaul 2/24/44, died of malaria and beri-beri
Marshall, Robert Woodson 1st Lieut 01/20/44 Rabaul 1/20/44, died of excessive bleeding (age 22 - see below)
Kirk, James Petty Off.1st Class 11/22/43 New Ireland 4/12/44, killed by bombing
Morgan, Carls Petty Off.2nd Class 11/22/43 New Ireland 4/12/44, killed by bombing
Thompson N.B. 1st Lieut. 11/22/43 New Ireland 4/12/44, killed by bombing
Clemens, Carl Clifford 1st Lieut 01/09/44 Rabaul 4/12/44, seriously injured by bombing and died soon after
Osgen, Cieon Isaac Captain 01/10/44 New Ireland 4/12/44, killed by bombing
Slipkas, Edward Michael Staff Sgt 02/14/44 Rabaul 4/12/44, seriously injured by bombing and died soon after
White, Cecil Marvin Gunner 02/14/44 Rabaul 4/12/44, killed by bombing
Bachman, Ershist Swiss Civilian 02/14/44 Rabaul 4/12/44, killed by bombing
Unknown Finnish Civilian 02/14/44 Rabaul 4/12/44, killed by bombing

Commentary: In post-war tribunals, it was proven that the Japanese commander ordered the murder of these men and used a bombing as a means of covering up another atrocity. Sadly, this was typical in almost every single command that had aviation prisoners.

Robert W. Marshall
I will quote one book, The Siege of Rabaul by Henry Sakaida, that has the following information. I have paraphrased, but directly from the book is in quotes.

After taking off from Torokina Airfield, Bougainville Island, on January 20, 1944, 11 F4U Corsairs were flying a B -25 escort mission targeting the Vunakanau Airfield near Rabaul. A division of four F4Us flown by Lieutenant Robert See, Captain Marion R. McCown Jr., 1st Lieutenant Robert Hugh Brindos, and 1st Lieutenant Robert Woodson Marshall were "flying top cover over the bombers. Just south of Cape St. George they ran into the entire 204th Air Group (42 Zeroes). The Japanese were soon crawling over them. Lt. See managed to claim two Zeroes and returned safely to base, but the other three disappeared."

After his F4U went down, 1st Lieutenant Robert W. Marshall was captured by the Japanese and sent to the prisoner of war camp on Rabaul where he died the same day of massive bleeding.

1st Lieutenant Brindos was captured two days later and would be killed in March with a group of other prisoners who were marched out into the jungle and murdered.

McGown crashed his F4U into the jungle where his plane and his remains were confirmed just a couple of years ago with the help of DNA.

By the way, I have information concerning this quote from your site: "Mission History: Took off from Torokina Airfield as part of a F4U escort for B-25s attacking Vunakanau Airfield near Rabaul. Records incorrectly state he was piloting F4U 17448, but in fact he was flying this aircraft, F4U 02402 (or possibly switched planes prior to take off)." In actuality, McGown had been shot down five days before on Jan. 15. He was rescued the next morning, but his plane was lost. When he flew again on Jan. 20 for his last mission, he had a different F4U for that reason.

Lt. See survived.

In spite of being greatly outnumbered (11- 42), only three F4Us were lost that day, and they managed to bring down three enemy Zeros.

Personal information about my uncle, Robert W. Marshall: He was raised on South Laurel Street Amite, LA, where he graduated from Amite High School in 1938. He was in his junior year at Louisiana State University majoring in aeronautical engineering before joining the Marines. He named his Corsair, "The Raven," because of his love of Edgar Allen Poe.

My uncle Robert W. Marshall is memorialized on the Tablets of the Missing at Manila American Cemetery. He received the Purple Heart.

I have attached picture of my uncle when he first joined the Navy, before he went into the Marines, and one when he was a pilot.
--- From Marshall's niece, Betty Montgomery

1st Lt. R. W. Marshall Robert Marshall, pilot
Robert Marshall news article